About FIDA Kenya
FIDA Kenya is the premier women’s rights organization in Kenya which for over 32 years has offered free legal aid to over 320,000 women and their children. The matters range from custody and maintenance, matrimonial disputes, discrimination in Employment, participation in public positions and sexual violence. FIDA Kenya similarly conducts education and advocacy programmes that positively impact on structural, institutional, and legal reforms within Kenya to ensure gender sensitivity and responsiveness.
The organization was established in 1985 during the 3rd UN Conference on Women held in Nairobi and attained registration in 1993 under the NGO Coordination Act. FIDA Kenya is a membership organization of over 1,100 women lawyers and law students and is committed to the creation of a society that is free from all forms of discrimination against women in Kenya.
As the oldest women’s rights organization in Eastern Africa, FIDA Kenya has over the years curved a niche for itself as a fearless defender of women’s rights at the national, regional and international level. Towards achieving its mandate, FIDA Kenya continually seeks to establish and maintain strategic partnerships with several like -minded partners including the Kenyan Government through its ministries and agencies, civil society partners, development partners and institutions of higher learning, among others.
The above is carried out with the explicit intention of sharing best practices, innovations and also exerting policy and practice influence. At the regional and international level, FIDA-Kenya has gained recognition as an actor in women’s empowerment. FIDA Kenya uses its stature at the regional and international level to bring pressure to bear on policy makers in favor of marginalized women.
At FIDA Kenya they are conscious that in order to realize their Vision and Mission certain core values are central to guide our work as they set their institutional norms and guide their interventions in all their work. They Include;
- Professional rigor
- Transparency and Accountability
- Learning and promoting a culture of inquiry
- Respect for diversity
- Team work and collective good
FIDA’s Strategic Objectives
- To promote access to justice through provision of legal aid services to women.
- To be the premier organization in research and documentation on women’s legal issues to guide public and private sector operations.
- To consolidate the gains for women in the Constitution and secure effective implementation of all gender responsive laws.
- To nurture strategic alliances with like-minded organizations and individuals in order to harness the collective power of women to achieve social justice.
- To proactively influence institutional structures to recognize, comply and be responsive to women’s rights at county, national, continental and international levels.
- To strengthen the capacity and visibility of the organization to secure sustainability.